Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Pioneer Trek 2008

On Pioneer Day, I usually don't get all that excited. This year though, I was really excited. I was going to get to go on Pioneer Trek. On Trek, we were going to dress as pioneers and pull hand carts 27 miles in three days. Boy was it tough! I don't think I can ever experience the pain that the pioneers went through, but I know I got pretty close.
The first day was the worst. I was up at four thirty, getting ready for the next three days. I had to meet the rest of the youth at the stake center at five thirty AM! How crazy can people get? I had to pack a 5 gallon bucket with all of my things except for my sleeping stuff. It couldn't weigh more than 17 pounds. Mine only weighed 12 and 1/2. Anyway, I got a ride with my dad on his way to work. I was 15 minutes early, and was the first person there younger than 20. It really sucked. I felt way subconscious as I sat and waited for someone I knew to get there.
When everyone had gathered, we packed up our bus and drove. I'm not exactly sure where we went, but I know we passed the Bitner Ranch on the way up. The ride was pretty unimportant, but it was way fun! My friend, Maisha Sorenson, stumped me with this riddle (I'll put the answer at the bottom of the blog):
Edward and Jill are laying dead
They are covered in water
There is glass everywhere
How did Edward and Jill die?
It took me forever to figure it out. I said things like, "Are they in space?" and other random stuff until I finally figured it out. SO DUMB! Everyone around me could tell I was super tired and "my chip wasn't on"(inside joke).
When we got there, we were instantly put to work, putting our buckets on the hand carts along with coolers and our lunches. We then hit the trail.
It was pretty hard. I was pushing from behind for a while. It was exhausting. We stopped frequently enough for water breaks, but not as much as I would have wanted.
When we finally stopped for lunch, I was super excited. We took an hour to sit by the side of the trail on our buckets and indulge in a good foot rub. I thought I would have huge blisters, but I didn't have even one. What surprised me the most though, were the seagulls. I knew we were very far from any large bodies of water, and I wondered how they would have come to be there, just as we had food to give them. It baffled me.
We started walking again as soon as lunch was done. About half an hour later of walking (at least I think it was that long) there were two men in olden day military uniform ahead of us. Our group was stopped and we gathered around to listen to them. They informed us that they were taking the men and boys away to fight with the Mormon Battalion in the war with Mexico. The men followed them, leaving us women to pull the hand carts. At first, I wasn't too worried. I was like, "Yeah, we can do it without them. We'll be okay." The stake young women leaders talked to us for a little while about the Priesthood and how much we need it in our lives. Then we walked back to our hand carts and started pushing. I was pushing next to our Trek "Ma", Sister Kim Hansen.
It wasn't until I saw the hill that I became worried. This hill looked like it had no end. It was steep and riddled with holes that our handcart kept getting stuck in. I broke out into a deep sweat and was literally gasping for breath. I had to keep my eyes on my feet to keep from slipping on rocks. Everytime it seemed like the hill was leveling out, it would get steep again.
We didn't know the boys were coming up the other side of the hill, but they were. They were supposed to reach the top first to meet us there, but we beat them. We were first up the hill and the boys ran to catch up. When I saw them, I felt relief sweep through my body. I was so happy that this pain was going to be taken away and I could walk without the effort. But they didn't step in and help. The walked silently beside us with their hats in their hands. I didn't know they coudln't help us. I was frustrated. Why weren't they helping me? They just walked there and watched us! I kept my head down and kept pushing, trying to keep the tears in my eyes.
Then the cart picked up speed and I looked up. The men and boys had reached out to help us. Gratitude welled inside me as they took the burden away and I walked the rest of the way. When we stopped afterward to talk about what had just happened, I collapsed, happy to be off my feet. I began to sob because of the pain and the feeling in my heart. I hope I never forget the feelings I felt there.
When we finally stopped for camp that night I was so tired! We had a quick hamburger/hotdog dinner and then started setting up for the night. It was dark when we finished setting up our tent. Brother Eggbert held a short lesson on grace and then we were sent to bed.
The second day was pretty much the same, excluding the Women's Pull. We finished walking slightly earlier than we had the day before. We set up tents quickly and then got in line for the yummy, Navajo Taco dinner.
We noticed an open space near where our ward was camping and wondered what it was for. Then we noticed the speakers being set up and saw the Stake President put a CD in a stereo nearby. Then the "Boot Scootin' Boogie" started up and we rushed to the dance floor. We danced for a while longer, then some of the youth learned to square dance.
After dancing, the entire stake gathered together for a testimony meeting. The spirit was there, and it was wonderful. There were so many youth ready to share!
Afterwards, we had dessert then went to bed, eager for the morning and the showers we were looking forward to at home.
I thought the last day would be easy. We only had to walk two miles, one to lunch and then one to where the buses were waiting for us. But it was harder than I thought.
During our three day walk, we were charged with the care of a baby doll made of sand. Her name was Lily, and we all had to take a turn carrying her. When we woke up the last day, Pa kept telling us that Lily wasn't doing so well and that she was sick. Most of us weren't taking it very seriously.
Sometime before lunch, we walked off the trail and gathered together as a family. Pa was holding Lily. He informed us that Lily had passed away while they were walking, and that we didn't have any tools to bury her. He had us all hold her one last time as he gave us a lesson about the Plan of Salvation. When I held the little lump of sand, I was surprised by the feelings that were welling inside of me. What if I had to leave Sarah here on the side of the road? What if I had a child of my own and it died out here in the middle of no where? Would I have been able to just walk away? I was in pretty bad shape, and I was crying in hysterics. I was very close to the Spirit at this point and I know I will never forget the way I felt.
Lunch was quick, as was the mile ahead of us. I was charged earlier with the job of counting wheel turns from camp to where we would stop. I got to 1400 before they started running. I was pretty proud of myself!
When we got home, we were very stinky and sweaty. We were shocked when we saw ourselves in the mirrors in the bathrooms how badly off we were. I was happy to be home, but sad at the same time that the experiance was over.
P.S. The answer to the riddle is that Edward and Jill are fish and their fish bowl has just broken. HAHAHA! Took me forever to figure it out. Hope you got it.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Hey Baby! I am very touched by your writing...You should put in a hard copy too! I am proud of you! I love you! Your mom